Job Opening at MICUA - Research Analyst
The Maryland Independent College and University Association (MICUA), a non-profit association which has as its mission the representation, coordination, and impassioned advocacy on behalf of independent higher education in Maryland, is seeking an experienced individual to assist in providing research support and analysis of both State and federal higher education statistics and related fiscal and employment data and information.
The successful candidate must have the ability to respond effectively and creatively to complicated requests for information. The successful candidate will have expertise in database management software, presentation software, visual representation of data, and spreadsheet manipulation, as well as experience with statistical and analytical methodologies and strong writing skills. At times, the work of MICUA is performed in an intense and challenging environment and the successful candidate will exhibit excellent interpersonal and communication skills and the ability to work well as part of a team.
The Research Analyst works collaboratively with the team and reports directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs. Responsibilities include: collecting and interpreting data and information from various sources; compiling and analyzing datasets to produce presentation elements; drafting reports and other documents; assisting with the representation of MICUA on workgroups; assisting with the facilitation of campus-based affinity groups; and coordinating the solicitation and collection of donor information for the Independent College Fund of Maryland.
A bachelor’s degree is required and a graduate degree in a related discipline or previous work experience as an institutional researcher is preferred. A candidate is expected to exhibit a proven history of positive social relationships and interactions with colleagues, supervisors, and other stakeholders and a willingness to be challenged and attempt to exceed expectations.
The position is salaried between $50,000 and $75,000 and offers a full range of benefits, including health, dental, vision, long-term disability, and life insurance. MICUA does not discriminate on the basis of sex, race, color, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity or gender expression, disability, religion, age, or any other protected class under federal, state, or local law in recruitment, admission and access to, or employment with the organization. MICUA provides flexible work hours with the opportunity for both in person and telework engagement.
The Research Analyst provides research support and analysis of both State and federal higher education statistics and related fiscal and employment data and information. Responsibilities include: creating tables, charts, graphs, dashboards, infographics, reports, and other documents to support the MICUA mission; researching matters that are responsive to requests of the MICUA team, MICUA member institutions, and key policy-makers and leaders including elected and appointed officials and their staff; and liaising with the Maryland Higher Education Commission (MHEC) and campus-based institutional researchers and financial aid officers. The Research Analyst additionally provides support for the Independent College Fund of Maryland. This position works collaboratively with the team and reports directly to the Vice President for Academic Affairs.
- Collect, interpret, and synthesize data and information from MHEC, the National Center for Education Statistics (NCES), National Postsecondary Student Aid Survey (NPSAS), the Integrated Postsecondary Education Data System (IPEDS), and other State and federal sources;
- Compile and analyze datasets to produce tables, charts, graphs, dashboards, infographics, and other presentation elements showing the operational and fiscal impact of MICUA’s member institutions;
- Coordinate with the Director of Communications to produce visually understandable presentation of data and information;
- Conduct surveys and compile and analyze responses from MICUA member institutions;
- Evaluate studies, reports, regulations, State and federal legislation, and other issues impacting higher education;
- Draft reports and other documents that incorporate both qualitative and quantitative data and information that supports the MICUA mission and positions before State and federal officials;
- Assist the Associate Vice President for Government and Business Affairs with the drafting of testimony for legislative bill hearings;
- Assist with the interpretation of financial ratio analyses in support of the capital project grant request process;
- Assist with the representation of MICUA on State agency and other workgroups and committees on issues relating to research, data collection and use, and institutional reporting;
- Assist with the coordination and facilitation of meetings of campus-based affinity groups, including institutional researchers and financial aid officers;
- Attend meetings of interest to MICUA member institutions;
- Coordinate the solicitation and collection of donor information for the Independent College Fund of Maryland;
- Identify relevant issues and trends that are likely to affect MICUA’s member institutions; and
- Handle other responsibilities as assigned by MICUA leadership.
- A bachelor’s degree in a related discipline is required
- A graduate degree in a related discipline or previous work experience as an institutional researcher is preferred
- Expertise in the use of database management software, presentation software (PowerPoint), and spreadsheet manipulation (Excel) is required
- Experience with statistical and analytical methodology preferred
- Excellent interpersonal and communications skills
- Ability to work well as part of a team
- Advanced research and writing skills
- Knowledge of information technology and web-based applications preferred
Please email a resume and a letter of interest that includes three professional references to: Ashley Swift, Manager of Business Operations, at email@example.com. Candidates may also submit letter(s) of recommendation for consideration. The position remains open until filled; however, letters of interest must be received by August 15, 2021, to guarantee full consideration.