MICUA colleges and universities participate in the Yellow Ribbon Program.
MICUA member institutions provide numerous services and financial support to the nation’s military service personnel, veterans, and family members.
- Every MICUA member institution actively participates in the federal Yellow Ribbon Program and matches the Yellow Ribbon grants to pay for college costs, including tuition, fees, books, room and board. The Yellow Ribbon benefit is available to certain veterans and their family members who served in active duty after 911.
- In addition to the Yellow Ribbon Program, several MICUA institutions offer targeted financial assistance to veterans, military members, and their families, including reduced tuition, scholarships, and other tuition assistance benefits. One MICUA institution provides a $25,000 annual scholarship, the Military Legacy Scholarship, for veterans, active duty military personnel, and their children.
- Ten MICUA institutions have signed and adhere to the Veteran Administration’s Principles of Excellence.
- Seven MICUA institutions have a full-time veteran counselor and a dedicated point of contact for veterans, military service members, and their families.
- Four MICUA institutions have Student Veterans of America (SVA) Chapters. These student-led organizations provide support services to veterans and manage high-impact programs to empower student veterans to achieve their academic goals. In addition, the SVA Chapters provide peer to peer networks for veterans and advocate for student veterans.
- Seven MICUA institutions have a full-time veteran counselor to offer support and assistance to student veterans.
- Eight MICUA institutions have a Reserve Officers Training Corps (ROTC) to provide a pathway for a career as an officer in the U.S. military.
- Many MICUA institutions offer alternative pathways for veteran members to earn college credits. For example, five institutions offer college credit for military experiences, 9 award college credit based on the College Level Examination Program (CLEP), and 3 award college credit for the Department of Defense’s DSST exams.
- Eight MICUA institutions are eligible to receive Military Tuition Assistance from every branch of the military to pay for up to 100% of tuition expenditures for active duty students.
- Representatives of MICUA and many of its member institutions serve on the Maryland College Collaboration for Student Veterans Commission.
Learn more by clicking the link below: